CAA: SMS Help, Making Sense of SMS Dialogue I

Making Sense of SMS – Dialogue I

We started our involvement and learning about
Safety Management Systems (SMS) about five years
ago.  Since that time we have learned a good deal
about SMS, what it is and most importantly, how
to implement SMS.  In order to start putting some
information out to our friends in the industry we
thought we would begin with a series of
“Dialogues” where we introduce some ideas, concepts or thoughts about SMS.

When asked “what is SMS” we often feel the need
to come up with a short one or two sentence
definition and invariably fall back on one of the
numerous definitions from the alphabetical
organizations that sounds good but really does
not tell the questioner much about SMS.

So, in this dialogue we are going to start the
process of describing in “real” terms what a SMS
is and does.  A SMS is a system to manage safety,
just as the words imply.  It manages safety by
“doing” safety in a very different manner than we
do it today.  Today we tend to think of safety as
something that is a specific activity that we
“do” – we have safety campaigns, we have safety
plans, policies, practices and
provisions.  Safety is viewed as something
outside our day-to-day work, something we do as a
specific or special activity not something that
is embedded into the way we do our work.  SMS
integrates safety into everything we do and into
every discussion that we have related to the work or business of the airport.

For example, when a new project or piece of
equipment is being discussed one of the first
things that always comes up is “how about the
budget” -- do we have the money, or how will we
pay for the new project / equipment.  When you
have a fully implemented and mature SMS at your
airport, safety will be addressed in the same way
as financial considerations.  When a new project
is proposed or a new piece of equipment is
considered, safety concerns are discussed on the
same level (or higher) as money issues.  Safety
is not a secondary or tertiary discussion item – it becomes the focus.

Safety becomes elevated in the minds of every
employee and safety discussions and
considerations become part of the normal
processes, not something that special.   Safety
considerations become woven into the fabric of
the airport, there becomes a safety culture at
the airport.  In one of the future dialogues, we
will discuss how this is done.  Safety promotion
is one of the key elements of SMS.

What are the key elements of SMS?  Good place to
begin.  The answer to that question depends upon
which source you ask.  Ask the FAA and they will
tell you there are four elements:

             1. Safety Policy and Objectives
             2. Safety Risk Management
             3. Safety Assurance
             4. Safety Promotion

If you ask someone from ICAO they will tell you
that there are “Ten Steps to an SMS” – those steps are:

             1. Planning
             2. Senior Management’s Commitment to Safety
             3. Organization
             4. Hazard Identification
             5. Risk Management
             6. Investigation Capability
             7. Safety Analysis Capability
             8. Safety Promotion and Training
             9. Safety Management Documentation and Information Management
         10. Safety Oversight and Safety Performance Monitoring

So, who’s right?  They both are.  Below is how we see the two working together.

Safety Policy and Objectives
             Planning
                         Senior Management’s Commitment to Safety
                         Organization
             Safety Risk Management
                         Hazard Identification
                         Risk Management
                         Investigation Capability
                         Safety Analysis Capability
          Safety Management Documentation and Information Management
                  Safety Assurance
                         Safety Oversight and Safety Performance Monitoring
             Safety Promotion
                         Safety Promotion and Training

The FAA, in the draft AC 150/XXXX-XX – October
30, 2006, identifies its “Twenty Steps to an Effective SMS.”

The twenty elements, within the four areas of
Acceptance, Organization, Training, and Program
Requirements, listed below are recommended of all
airport SMS programs regardless of system
size.  Moreover, the elements of each area must
be specifically tailored to the complexity and
size of the airport.  The goal for airport
operators is to tailor each area to meet the
specific needs of the safety management system.

ACCEPTANCE
1. Acceptance of SMS as an effective business tool
2. Management buy-in and commitment to SMS development
3. Establishment and definition of authority and
responsibilities for SMS functions within the organization
4. Determination and communication of safety
objectives, targets, indicators and goals
5. Establishment of a ‘just’ (non-punitive) internal reporting system

ORGANIZATION
6. Determination and assignment of the responsible/accountable executive
7. Establishment of an internal SMS organizational structure
8. Assignment (if warranted) of an organizational
Safety Manager, responsible for administration of the safety program
9. Establishment of safety committee(s) and/or group(s) as warranted
10. Involvement of all employees in all aspects of SMS planning/implementation

TRAINING
11. Establishment of SMS training programs and
identification of safety related competency requirements
12. Establishment of a process of hazard identification
13. Establishment of risk management processes
14. Documentation of all SMS requirements/functions
15. Establishment of a system to
disseminate/communicate safety information to all
employees on a routine and as-needed basis

PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
16. Establishment of a system of accident / incident reporting
17. Conduct and document accident / incident investigations
18. Establishment of data collection programs to
collect safety related information
19. Conduct of SMS / safety program audits and management reviews
20. Establishment of a program of safety related
incentives and initiatives for employees (as warranted)

So, in order to further the discussion about SMS,
what it is, what it does and how you do it we
would like to use the FAA 20 Steps as the titles
for future dialogues about SMS.  We hope that the
dialogues will generate some discussion and questions about SMS.

Tim Phillips / Jessica Domitrovich

To originate a message to the CAA: SMS Help list, address your e-mail to
sms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fill in the 'Subject" line and your message.

To respond to someone else's message to this list, simply click on the
'Reply' button on your e-mail program, leaving the 'Subject' line alone. AOL
users, don't forget to highlight the previous message text.

You must be subscribed to this list to post to it.

To be added or removed from this private list, please contact
stepheni@xxxxxxxxx