"House Bill Extends Pilot Retirement Age"

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

House Bill Extends Pilot Retirement Age
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House voted unanimously Tuesday to extend the
retirement age for commercial pilots to 65, changing a 1960 Federal Aviation
Administration regulation forcing pilots to leave the cockpit at age 60.

The bill, if approved by the Senate, would put the U.S. retirement age in
line with international standards. The International Civil Aviation
Organization adopted an age 65 retirement age in November, 2006. The measure
passed on a 390-0 vote.

''Each day that passes without raising the retirement age to 65,
approximately five of our senior, most experienced pilots will be forced to
retire,'' Transportation Committee Chairman James Oberstar, D-Minn., said.

The retirement age provision was originally included in a larger bill to
reauthorize FAA programs that the House passed in September. But with the
FAA bill unlikely to see action in the Senate this year, Oberstar and his
Republican counterpart, Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., agreed to move the
retirement bill separately in hopes of winning quick Senate approval.

The bill would require pilots who reach age 60 to have a medical certificate
renewed every six months, to continue to participate in FAA pilot training
and qualification programs and be administered a line check every six
months.

Following international practices, flights out of U.S. airports for foreign
destinations would have to have at least one pilot under age 60.

The legislation is not retroactive, and airlines would not be required to
hire back pilots who retire before the measure goes into effect.

The bill is H.R. 4343.

On the Net:

Congress: http://thomas.loc.gov/