"FAA Set to Raise Retirement Age For Pilots to 65"

Monday, December 11, 2006

FAA Set to Raise Retirement Age For Pilots to 65
By Andy Pasztor
The Wall Street Journal

The Federal Aviation Administration, moving away from its longstanding
policy that airline pilots must retire at age 60, wants to let them work in
the cockpit as many as five years longer, according to industry and
government officials.

The agency's emerging support for raising the mandatory retirement age to 65
comes as foreign airlines and regulators are adopting similar changes. If
left unchanged, the current rules over the next decade will require
thousands of passenger and cargo commercial pilots -- some projections total
more than 30,0000 aviators -- to retire at age 60, regardless of their
health.