REQUEST TO UNSUBSCRIBE; THANK YOU

Stephen Irwin <stepheni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Monday, August 2, 2004

Those magnificent ultralight machines
It's easy to fall in love with these slow, maneuverable, affordable
airplanes.
By LIZ HAMPTON
The Jacksonville (FL) Times-Union

ST. MARYS -- Ultralight planes offer sightseeing at its best from the
air, and more than a dozen fliers have discovered this at the St. Marys
Airport.

Greg Bird, who owns Bird Aviation at the airport, has been flying
ultralights for six years. "My first plane was a float plane," he said.
It would gracefully take off from water or land with perfect ease.

"Ultralights are gentle enough to fly with seagulls and pelicans -- they
fly slow enough. They are known for slow and low, which is great for
sightseeing. It's purely recreational. I haven't flown anything more
fun. I've cruised along outside the beach about 50 feet above the water
and can see people's faces on the beach."

Bird said another advantage is that you can land on small runways. "I
travel to Waycross sometimes and have landed on dirt roads and in a
field between crops," he said.

Ultralights are single-passenger, open-cockpit planes with a maximum
weight of 254 pounds, a 5-gallon maximum fuel tank capacity and maximum
airspeed of 63 mph.

"They use auto fuel at auto fuel prices," Bird said. "Ultralights run in
the price range of a regular motorcycle. Most people don't know this.
It's aviation's best kept secret."

Larry Starratt of Jacksonville regularly flies his plane into the St.
Marys Airport. His plane is called a flex wing tricycle ultralight,
because it is flown by the pilot actually pivoting (flexing) the whole
wing rather than moving small control surfaces attached to a
conventional airplane wing.

Starratt keeps his plane at his home and flies from a grass strip on his
property. "I've been flying for 2 years. I've always wanted to fly," he
said. "I took instruction and had 12 hours with an instructor before
flying solo.

"I can travel about 50 miles distance max. The plane will go as high as
1,000 feet, but I fly at about 400 feet when the conditions are hazy."

There is a bit of good-natured technical discussion about the flex wing
versus the fixed-wing design among the local pilots. The control yoke of
the flex wing must be moved in the exact opposite direction of the fixed
wing to get the same flight response. If your car was a flex wing, you'd
turn the wheel to the left to make the car turn right. Then again,
walking around the hangar and observing the dozen or so flying machines
there, no two of them were identical. They do all have one important
thing in common: they all fly. And all the pilots love to fly them.

Bird commented on the importance of taking flight instruction, even
though lessons for ultralights are not required by the Federal Aviation
Administration.

"It is good to have eight to 10 hours of instruction before flying
solo," Bird said. "It's important to learn safety and emergency
procedures. You can teach yourself. No license is required, but your
life is more important than that. It needs to be safe and fun."

Ultralights are flown by visual flight rules. There are no instruments
required. However, many of the ultralights at the St. Marys Airport have
some basic flight instruments like an altimeter and airspeed indicator,
as well as basic engine monitoring instruments.

Wayne Turner is an ultralight flight instructor at the St. Marys
Airport. He has a T-Bird II, which is a two-seater. FAA regulations
allow two-seaters for flight instruction only. "I've been flying since
1986. I love flying," he said.

Turner is an FAA-certified basic flight instructor. He gives lessons
that enable students to learn to fly and obtain an ultralight license.
"You can qualify for insurance if you are licensed," he said.

The instruction plane has two side-by-side seats and controls for both
instructor and student. The instructional plane is a bit larger than the
standard one-seater ultralight and will travel slightly faster at 70
mph. Turner's plane, as well as several others at the airport, is
equipped with a safety device called a ballistic parachute in case of
emergency. The parachute is actually attached to the airframe, so when
deployed by the pilot it brings the whole plane and the plane's
occupants, securely seat-belted in, safely to the ground.

"Pre-flight inspection is important before going up each time," Turner
said. He checks the overall structure, makes sure controls are working,
looks at the engine spark plugs, carburetor boots, the propeller and
control surfaces.

Turner said he enjoys flying low over the marsh.

"At a height as low as 5 feet over the water, you can see the fish
scatter. They react to the plane as if it were a bird diving for food,"
he said.

Allan House, another pilot, is building a plane that is classified as a
light sport. "It's the hot rod version of the ultralight," he said.
"It's heavier and faster. It also has a lot more instruments than the
regular ultralight."

House is customizing his plane from a kit plane he bought. It is
referred to as an experimental because he is building more than 51
percent of it himself. He has incorporated a folding wing design and
plans to put floats on it so he can take off from land or water.

House, who lives aboard a 41-foot sailboat, said he hopes to carry his
plane on his boat. "I'd like to have the plane on floats and keep it
lashed down and under cover on the boat deck. Then I can fly out of the
water. It's a pipe dream right now," he said, referring to some of the
expense involved in making his plane seaworthy for take-off and landing.

House will have a flying partner when his plane is ready for takeoff.
Missy, his golden retriever, accompanies him to the airport regularly
and is learning her way around planes.

Attached Photo's:

Wayne Turner's T-Bird II ultralight trainer soars over the St. Marys
River on Saturday. Turner has been flying the small open aircraft since
1986 and gives lessons out of the St. Marys Airport

Wayne Turner at the controls of his ultralight. The planes usually sit
one, but FAA regulations allow two-seaters for flight instruction.

Wayne Turner inspects his ultralight trainer before taking a flight out
of St. Marys Airport on Saturday. As a flight instructor, Turner
stressed the importance of the pre-flight inspection.

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=39901_200.jpg

> ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=turner1.jpg

> ATTACHMENT part 4 image/jpeg name=turner2.jpg

Do you Yahoo!?