From: "Stephen Irwin" <stepheni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pilot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 2:47 AM
Subject: CAA: Pilot Talk, "Airlines resist move to relieve tired pilots"

> [...]
> possible cause of a 1999 American Airlines crash in Little Rock that
killed
> 11 including the pilot.
>
> Research confirms the risks posed by tired pilots: Reports by pilots to
the
> National Aeronautics and Space Administration showed that 21% of pilot
> errors were fatigue-related and tended to occur during critical descent
and
> landing phases.
>
> And pilots are tired. In a 1999 survey at one major airline, hundreds of
> pilots reported incidents of drifting involuntarily to sleep while in the
> cockpit; more than 15% said their "fatigue compromised safety."
>
> Yet airlines continue to exploit a loophole in the pilot rest rules issued
> in 1985  pushing beyond an already long, 16-hour workday limit. For
years,
> the airlines have interpreted the limit as a maximum for scheduled time on
> duty. Additional time caused by air traffic control or weather delays
isn't
> counted. As delays have mounted, so have hours on the job.
>
> Prodded by an American Airlines pilot concerned about excessive work
hours,
> the FAA finally moved to close the loophole and limit the actual hours
> pilots work. Under the new interpretation, pilots can't fly if takeoff
> delays would push them over their 16-hour workday limit.
>
> Instead of adjusting to the change, the industry is grasping for excuses.
> The ATA argues, for instance, that pilots are adding to flight fatigue by
> living far from their operating bases and commuting hours to get to work.
> But if a pilot comes to work tired, he is breaking other FAA rules and
> should be reported. In fact, if this is a frequent problem, airlines
should
> resolve it by negotiating limits on where pilots can live  not by pushing
> for weaker safety rules.
>
> The FAA has given the airlines until November to comply with the rule.
>
> Instead of wasting time with court challenges, the airlines should put
> rested pilots in their cockpits and heed their No. 1 duty: getting
> passengers to their destinations safely.
>
> Fatigue can be deadly
>
> The "number of accidents due to fatigue is difficult to determine and
likely
> to be underestimated," according to the National Transportation Safety
> Board. Recent examples linked to pilot fatigue:
>
>    June 1999: An American Airlines MD-82 landing in Little Rock skids off
> the runway ramming light polls; 11 people die.
>
>    August 1997: Korean Air Lines Boeing 747 crashes on landing at Guam,
> killing 228.
>
>    August 1993: American International Airways DC-8 crashes into a hill on
> landing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. All three crewmembers were injured.
>
> Source: National Transportation Safety Board; USA TODAY research

you wish to receive your posts on, addressed to
imailsrv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and place the following in the first line of
the body of the message:
>  Subscribe pilot YourFirstName YourLastName YourJobTitle
YourAirport/Company

> To unsubscribe from the Pilot Talk List, send an email, from the email
account you have been receiving your posts on, addressed to
imailsrv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  and place only the following in the first