As a pilot, I have had a vacuum pump failure, luckily it was in VFR conditions.
However, the timing of this questionnaire is worrisome. Last fall you may
recall the death of Missouri Gov. Mel Carnahan, a campaign aide, and his son.
The preliminary NTSB report cites a vacuum pump failure as a present condition.

Lawsuits on behalf of the Carnahan family have been filed seeking damages from
the aircraft manufacturer, engine manufacturer, and the company that made the
vacuum pump.

I have been told by various pilot friends that attorneys seeking to expand the
suits are circulating requests such as these without disclosing the purpose of
the requests.

I do not want to see the return of Cleveland vs. Piper kind of lawsuits which
destroyed general aviation throughout the 1980s and 90s and I will not provide
this data to anyone but the FAA and the vacuum pump manufacturer. I do not
encourage anyone else to participate either.

Robert A. Grierson,  A.A.E.
Chico Airport Manager
(530) 879-3910

>>> weilt@xxxxxxxx 02/07 6:18 AM >>>
A helping hand is needed for a good friend of our airport.
Tom Weil, Manager
California City Municipal