, Airport Marketing & Public Relation, Parking - Heaven or Hell

Pay on foot means paying for your parking at an ATM-like machine before you
get to your car (while you are still "on foot.")  The usual situation in
Europe is to require parkers to pay on foot and not have a row of cashiers
at the exit, but rather a single booth that houses someone who can go out to
the lanes if there are problems.

We have about 50 pay-on-foot machines at JFK, EWR and LGA, with another 20
being installed.  They are all inside the terminals.  The original 50 are 11
years old and take both cash and credit cards (but don't accept the
redesigned currency) and the new 20 are credit-card-only machines.  We
expect to be replacing the old ones next year, but haven't decided whether
to continue to accept cash at them.

We still have some parking meters at LGA in one lot near the Marine Air
Terminal/Delta Shuttle.  We used to have more there, but took them out about
10 years ago.

The parking meters are mechanical.  The pay-on-foot machines are tied into
the overall revenue control system by fiber optic cable.  The parker inserts
his ticket, a video screen tells him how much he owes and what time he has
paid until (it adds a 30-minute grace period to the actual paid time to give
him time to get his car and leave.)  He can pay with cash (it give change in
paper currency and doesn't accept coins) or credit card and returns the
ticket which now has been printed with the time in and paid time out and the
dollar amount.  When the ticket is inserted into the reader upon exit (there
are a few ExpressPay exit lanes at EWR and LGA but none at JFK, and all of
them are staffed and also take cash and credit card transactions) the gate
goes up and the parker leaves.  If he pays at the pay-on-foot machine and
THEN waits for his luggage (not recommended) and runs over the time he has
paid for, the parker can reinsert his ticket in the machine and add time to
it, but he can only do this once.  After that, he has to pay the balance at
the cashier booth at exit.

At EWR we have close-in lots that are for the exclusive use of private car
(limo) services.  The vehicles are registered and pay a monthly fee for
access to the lots.  They are required to use the pay-on-foot machines (at
the same rates as for regular customers), since the exit lanes from those
lots are not staffed.

At EWR, where parking is particularly complicated (there are 11 lots with
five different parking rate structures) and capacity is a problem (we are
building two garages there) we have VMS signs over the roadways entering the
airport that indicate which lots are full and which are open.

We have LOTS of construction going on at JFK and EWR, and our
parking-related response has been to place many uniformed traffic attendants
(contract staff) around the parking lots to help customers navigate the
changing environment, and we also have more shuttle vans within the lots to
take people from their cars to the terminals.  We also try to come up with
temporary signs to help in this, but it's very difficult to keep up with the
changes that take place, especially when the construction contractors don't
think twice about moving a sign that's in the way and then not telling
anyone.