"Will FAA Bill Pass This Year? Flip a Coin."

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Will FAA Bill Pass This Year? Flip a Coin.
Aviation International News

"In Washington, D.C., no bad idea ever dies," National Association of State
Aviation Officials president and CEO Henry Ogrodzinski said of aviation user
fees yesterday at the American Association of Airport Executives General
Aviation Issues Conference in Naples, Fla. "Even if a good [FAA
reauthorization] bill passes this time, user fees will still come up next
time." And next time isn't that far away, since the two FAA bills currently
in play - H.R.2881 and S.1300 - reauthorize the agency for only four years,
versus the traditional 10 years. However, passage of these bills is anything
but assured; the House and Senate are no closer to consensus, and the
extension that is keeping the FAA in business expires November 16. "It's
likely that another extension will be passed," noted AOPA vice president of
airports Bill Dunn, "and if these extensions continue into March then we'll
have more extensions to keep the status quo until the new administration is
in place in 2009." GAMA vice president Brian Riley gives only a 50-50 chance
that an FAA reauthorization bill will be passed this year, and a near-zero
chance next year since it's an election year.

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum