"War bill helps dairy farmers, airlines"

Friday, May 25, 2007

War bill helps dairy farmers, airlines
The Associated Press

CAPITOL HILL (AP) - The Iraq funding bill includes money for items that
don't have anything to do with the war effort.

It's studded with provisions to help dairy farmers, airlines, salmon
fisherman and rural counties hurt by cutbacks in federal logging.

Dairy farmers are getting more than a billion dollars in help as lawmakers
clear the way to renew a subsidy program aimed at smaller milk producers.

Airlines will be allowed to reduce the contributions to their pension plans
by almost two billions dollars over the next decade.

There's $$60 million in help for northwest salmon fishermen, tribes and
processors hurt by lowered river flows that have wrecked salmon runs. And
northwest counties harmed by lower logging revenues from federal lands have
a 1-year, $$425 million extension of a federal payment program.

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum