"Lawmakers take aim at airports' noisiest aircraft"

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lawmakers take aim at airports' noisiest aircraft
By David A. Michaels
The Passaic County (NJ) Herald News

A U.S. Senate committee approved a bill on Wednesday that would require the
phasing out of the noisiest aircraft at airports, including Teterboro. The
airport's operators have already pledged to stop flying the jets, known as
stage-two aircraft, between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.

The bill also contains measures extending the ban Teterboro has on jets
weighing more than 100,000 pounds and requiring the U.S. Department of
Transportation to investigate problems such as overbooked flights and
cancellations.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., authored the amendments to the bill, which
provides funding for the Federal Aviation Administration. Rep. Steve
Rothman, D-Fair Lawn, is likely to sponsor the same amendments to the
House's version of the bill, officials said.

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum