"President Signs DHS Spending Bill Into Law"

Title:

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

President Signs DHS Spending Bill Into Law

Airport Legislative Alliance

Airport Alert

To:                  AAAE/ACI-NA Chief Executives and Airport Operators on E-Mail Distribution

Re:                  President Signs DHS Spending Bill Into Law

Date:               October 4, 2006

Earlier today, the President signed into law the fiscal year 2007 spending bill for the Department of Homeland Security (H.R. 5441).  To view a copy of the President’s statement on the bill click here.

As we have previously reported, the legislation, which funds the Transportation Security Administration and all other parts of the department, includes $388 million for EDS installation – a figure that is $44 million above the President’s request and $93 million more than was approved last year for that purpose.  The bill also maintains the 45,000 cap on TSA screeners and rejects the Administration-backed proposal to increase the $2.50 passenger security fee.