"House Aviation Subcommittee to Consider General Aviation Relief Bill Tomorrow"

Wednesday, December 12, 2001

House Aviation Subcommittee to Consider General Aviation Relief Bill
Tomorrow
AAAE/ACI-NA

Tomorrow, the House Aviation Subcommittee is scheduled to markup H.R.
3347, the General Aviation Industry Reparations Act of 2001.  The bill
as drafted would provide $2.5 billion in direct compensation and $5
billion in loan guarantees to fixed based operators, flight schools, GA
manufacturers, and persons engaged in nonscheduled commercial aviation
enterprises for direct losses incurred after September 11 because of
ground stop orders and for incremental losses incurred through December
31, 2001, as a result of the terrorist attacks.

Given the bill's price tag we do not believe this measure will receive
much support beyond the subcommittee and possibly the full
Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.  We are, however,
attempting to get the bill modified to ensure that general aviation
airports would be eligible for any of the funds made available under the
legislation in the event that it does gain some momentum.  Although the
recently enacted airport security bill provides flexibility to GA
airports affected by the closure of Class B to use AIP funds in fiscal
year 2002, it is clear that more assistance is required.

At this point, it is unclear whether we will be successful in gaining
these modifications at the subcommittee level or if we will have to wait
until full committee consideration.   No date has yet been set for full
committee markup.  As always, we will keep you apprised of our efforts
on this measure and our ongoing efforts to secure additional airport
funding as part of other measures.

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum
http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID5