"Reimbursement for New Security Requirements"

Friday, November 9, 2001

Reimbursement for New Security Requirements
AAAE/ACI-NA

As we have previously reported, neither of the aviation security bills
that the House and Senate passed includes the necessary appropriations
to reimburse airports for deploying more law enforcement officials after
the terrorist attacks on September 11. However, we have a chance to
convince Congress to appropriate much-need funds for new airport
security requirements as part of the Fiscal Year 2002 (FY02) Department
of Defense (DOD) Appropriations bill or the economic stimulus package.

Earlier this week, we asked you contact your Representatives and urge
them to include funds in the emergency section of the DOD Appropriations
bill to reimburse airports for their new security costs. Early next
week, we will send you another alert regarding House action on the
package. Ranking Member Obey may be including reimburse funds for
airports as part of his homeland security proposal. Now, we are asking
you to contact your Senators and urge them to support Sen. Byrd's
homeland security proposal, which includes $1 billion for airport
security, when it considers the economic stimulus bills. The following
includes: 1) background information on the economic stimulus package; 2)
our request for action; and 3) recommended talking points.

Economic Stimulus Package

Background: Late last month, the House of Representatives approved an
economic stimulus bill that includes $99.5 billion in tax cuts next
year. As it did with aviation security, the Democratic-controlled Senate
is taking a different approach. Yesterday, the Senate Finance Committee
approved its own $67 billion economic stimulus plan that includes funds
for tax relief and for assistance to laid-off workers. The Senate is
expected to consider the economic stimulus bill early next week.

Senator Robert C. Byrd (D-WV), the powerful Chairman of the Senate
Appropriations Committee, is proposing that the Senate add $20 billion
to economic stimulus bill to strengthen homeland security and stimulate
the economy. His package includes $2.5 billion for highway projects,
$2.3 billion for mass transit security, and $1 billion for aviation
security. From conversations that we have had with Byrd's staff, it is
unclear whether airports will be able to use those funds for operational
purposes such as paying for additional law enforcement officials or for
security-related capital accounts only.

Request: We are recommending that you contact your Senators as soon as
possible and ask them to: 1) support Sen. Byrd's homeland security
proposal when the Senate considers the economic stimulus bill; and 2) to
use $1 billion of that additional spending to reimburse airports for
their new security requirements such as deploying more law enforcement
officials. Some talking points that you can use when you contact your
Senator's office are listed below.

Talking Points for Contacting Your Senators

   . I am calling to thank you for supporting our airport in the past
and to ask for your help again as the Senate prepares to consider the
economic stimulus bill. Specifically, I am asking that you support Sen.
Byrd's homeland security proposal and to use $1 billion of that
additional spending to reimburse airports for their new security
requirements such as deploying more law enforcement officials.

   . After the terrorist attacks on September 11, the FAA immediately
required airports to deploy more law enforcement officials and take
other steps to improve aviation security. These new security
requirements are expected to cost airports in your state and around the
country $1 billion next year.

   . The aviation security bill that the Senate passed on October 11
does not include the necessary appropriations to reimburse airports for
deploying more law enforcement officials. However, Sen. Robert Byrd is
proposing $1 billion for airport security as part of his $20 billion
homeland security package.

   . Sen. Byrd will offer his homeland security proposal as an amendment
to the economic stimulus bill that the Senate is expected to consider
next week. On behalf of airports in your state, I am requesting you
support Senator Byrd's homeland security proposal and do everything you
can to ensure that airports can use $1 billion of that package to deploy
more law enforcement officials and other new operational expenses
stemming from the terrorist attacks.

   . Thank you for your consideration of this request.

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum
http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID5