"House Names Conferees to Airport Security Bill"

Tuesday, November 6, 2001

House Names Conferees to Airport Security Bill
AAAE/ACI-NA

After unanimously adopting a motion to instruct conferees to make every
effort to resolve all differences with the Senate on airport security
legislation "as soon as possible and no later than November 9," the
House of Representatives tonight named conferees to the House/Senate
conference on airport security legislation. The Senate is expected to
follow suit sometime in the next couple of days. Although the motion to
instruct in the House urges quick action on the security bill in
conference, it far from guarantees it. Given the number of caustic
statements in the press over the past several days from the key House
and Senate negotiators, it appears as if we are in for a long and bitter
fight on the legislation.

As we previously reported, the conference gives us yet another
opportunity to push for federal reimbursement to airports for security
related costs and other priorities. We are currently working on a letter
to the conferees, which we will share via Airport Alert as soon as
possible. Stay tuned and stay ready to contact the conferees.

House Conferees - Airport Security Legislation

Rep. Don Young (R-AK), Chairman, House Transportation and Infrastructure
Committee

Rep. John Mica (R-FL), Chairman, House Aviation Subcommittee

Rep. Tom Petri (R-WI)

Rep. Jimmy Duncan (R-TN)

Rep. Vernon Ehlers (R-MI)

Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-MN), Ranking Democrat, House Transportation and
Infrastructure Committee

Rep. Bill Lipinski (D-IL), Ranking Democrat, House Aviation Subcommittee

Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR)

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum
http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID5