"FY02 DOT Bill Hits the House Floor - Bad News for the Small Community Air Service Development Pilot Program and Airport Funding of FAA staff/consultants"

Monday, June 25, 2001

FY02 DOT Bill Hits the House Floor Tomorrow - Bad News for the Small
Community Air Service Development Pilot Program and Airport Funding of FAA
staff/consultants
AAAE/ACI-NA

This evening, the House Rules Committee heard testimony from lawmakers on
the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on the rule for
tomorrow's consideration of H.R. 2299 the "FY02 DOT Appropriations Bill."

As we've previously reported, lawmakers on the T&I Committee have objected
to parts of the FY02 bill as passed by the full House Appropriations
Committee on jurisdictional grounds. Because of the T&I objections, the rule
for tomorrow's debate, which is expected later tonight, is not expected to
protect funding for the Small Community Air Service Development Pilot
Program and the authority for airport funding of project specific staff or
consultants. As a result, these two provisions will likely be stripped from
the bill during tomorrow's consideration. Although this is clearly a
set-back, the AAAE/ACI-NA Legislative Affairs staff will continue to work
for inclusion of these two provisions in the Senate version of the spending
bill. At this time, the Senate is scheduled to start work on their version
of the FY02 DOT bill the week of July 10.

Outside of these setbacks, a number of airport-supported provisions
including $3.3 billion for AIP are likely to remain in the final version of
the House-passed FY02 DOT bill. We'll provide more details on tomorrow's
House consideration as they emerge. Stay tuned. . .

For more information on the FY02 DOT Appropriations Bill, visit these links:

   *House Rules Resolution: http://www.house.gov/rules/107rule2299.htm

   *Bill Text (In a pdf format so you are able to search the contents for
specific words or phrases):
http://www.airportnet.org/depts/federal/legis107/hr2299.pdf

   *House Aviation Subcommittee Report to the Rules Committee (Also in a pdf
format so you are able to search the contents for specific words or
phrases): http://www.airportnet.org/depts/federal/legis107/2299report.pdf

   *AAAE/ACI-NA Airport Alert # 48: House Transportation Appropriations
Passes FY02 Spending Bill

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/legislative/msg09121.html

   *AAAE/ACI-NA Airport Alert #49: Full House Appropriations Committee
Marks-Up FY02 Spending Bill

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/legislative/msg09122.html

   Post your comments in the CAA Legislative Forum
http://www.californiaaviation.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID5