Question concerning control towerequation

Steve I remember that formula and how the FAA used it for the Benefit-Costs basis in which to support contract tower funding.

Sitting in on the conference call yesterday with the FAA and US Contract Tower Assoc, the FAA made it clear that it has dumped that process and now rely on a yet to be publically released "Comprehensive Safety Review conducted by FAA professionals." Whatever that means.

When that document becomes public, we may discover what rationale they used to keep underutilized FAA towers operational while gutting the cost effective contract tower program.

Robert A. Grierson, A.A.E.
Manager, Dubuque Regional Airport
11000 Airport Road
Dubuque, IA 52003
(563) 589-4128
www.FLYDBQ.com

>>> On 4/3/2013 at 12:04 PM, in message <CAKpkcWUB=3kt8_=_sV3mgJ+wwUQ=eXOfQtBZ=-uiS+7TzkKY-w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Stephen M. Quilty" <smqairportservices@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard,
The criteria for the establishment and/or discontinuance is found in APO 90-70 (google the document). It outlines the benefit cost analysis used, which involves some rather involved weighting methodology. Reading the document does provide insight into the emphasis placed on air carrier operations, in part because of the perceived risk exposure to larger number of people involved and the mix differential of the aircraft (read mix to mean speed, airspace need, wake turbulence, etc). The end result is a John Lawson mentioned, a calculated BCA greater than 1.0 versus a BCA less than 1 (14CFR Part 170). The formula that you may be thinking about where the type of operations plays a part in the formula (GA vs. air carrier vs. military) may actually be the formula used for the old ADAP and current ACIP calculation for funding criteria.

The answer to the board's question is a risk-based response.... the focus is on the number of people. More people have exposure should an aircraft accident occur with an air carrier than with a GA operation. The exception is if there is a congress-person on board a GA aircraft involved in an accident (tongue firmly in place ). An additional factor is the assumption of larger aircraft with greater speed differential than GA piston aircraft (totally ignoring that GA includes larger jet operations as well). And then the number of instrument operations come into play, since air carriers are required to operate under those requirements.

One of the impacts not being fully discussed about the closure of towers and the reduction of navaid maintenance is the potential impact on the future closure of navigational aids. There is a BCA associated with navaid facilities as well. With towers inoperative, that may result in a reduction of instrument approaches (due to a lack of weather reporting capabilities or individual company/insurance policies that restrict/limit operation at nontowered facilities or to higher minimums in effect). The reduction in numbers may then impact decisions about discontinuance of a navaid (ILS, for instance) and promote the (FAA) goals of ADB-S implementation or consolidation at the TRACONS or CENTERS.

Tough situation all around. Being involved in SMS, I can see the assessment of risk playing out in the current debate. The real question the board should be asking is "what level of risk are we willing to tolerate?" The FAA is now saying they are willing to accept a higher level of risk than in the past. Affected airports are saying otherwise, in which case, the burden may fall on the airport to support the lower risk assessment through self-funding, lawsuits, congressional emphasis, etc. Hope this helps.
Steve
--

Stephen M. Quilty, A.A.E. SMQ Airport Services 26757 Haverhill Drive Lutz, FL 33559-8509

813-388-9132 SMQAirportServices@xxxxxxxxx

The mission of SMQ Airport Services is to support the airport management profession with training and education,

safety audits, SMS and group facilitation, organizational development and assessment, and special research study.