Mutual Help List, Question concerning control tower equation

Title: RE: Mutual Help List, Question concerning control tower equation

Richard:

Here’s a link that has a lot of good information about the contract tower program, including links to other sites that are helpful:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/atct.html

If your airport isn’t already a member, the CTA web site http://www.contracttower.org/ is also a good source of information.

The equation you’re referring to is the “benefit/cost ratio” (B/C ratio).  If it’s 1.0 or above, your airport is eligible for FAA support of a contract tower.  If it’s below 1.0, the airport and FAA can enter into a cost-sharing agreement.

As I recall, the formulas/factors/values that go into calculating the B/C ratio used to be a secret, FAA was for some reason reluctant to release them til AAAE/CTA finally convinced the Feds to release them.  Spencer Dickerson at AAAE/CTA might be able to help you with that.

Good luck!

Semper Fi
John