Mutual Help List, Question - How to handle lights when toweris closed

Richard,

We represent two airports in Indiana with potential tower closures.  One is FAA and one is a contract tower.  The contract tower is already closed from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM and has PCL already installed.  They also have a manual control panel in the vault that defaults most of the lighting to medium and the PCL overrides those manual controls when implemented.

The second airport with the FAA tower is a 24/7 tower so will be impacted.  They did not have PCL so we immediately purchased the Radio Unit and spent two days installing it in their vault last week.  They already had the transfer relays so we wired a switch that the tower can flip that transfers the lights to remote control.  The lights are all off unless a pilot clicks the Mike.  The logic we used is as follows:

3 clicks                 Everything on low and all PAPIs on

5 clicks                 Everything on medium and all PAPIs on

7 clicks                 Everything on high, all PAPIs on and all REILs on

Their beacon was already controlled on a separate switch and can be turned on by the tower at closure.  If sequestration runs long and gets into summer hours, we are planning to install a photocell on the beacon in parallel so it is not running during daylight hours.

Thanks,

Ken Ross, P.E.

NGC Corp.

1410 S. Post Road, Suite 200