Mutual Help List, Question: FBO requests taxilane on ramp

When you create a taxi lane with a centerline marking on a non-movement area ramp, you have defined specific safety parameters.

1)    A taxi lane by definition has an Object Free Area (OFA) of 1.2  x the wingspan  (of the aircraft design group (ADG) aircraft you plan for)  + 20 feet =  OFA

2)    You have now guaranteed / assumed liability for, a pilot who puts his nose wheel on the center line having that much known / definitional clearance.

3)   Typically on a ramp you also need taxi lane edge markings to delineate the “taxi lane” from the “ramp” otherwise there is no visual indication of what size aircraft it was laid out for.

4)   You don’t park in an OFA,  that is why it is called an Object Free Area.

5)   If you do not paint a taxi lane, then it is a non-movement area ramp,  clearances are not definitional, it is the pilot’s responsibility to determine if he has safe clearance to taxi.

             Roy Freese

            Wichita Airport Authority

          2173 Air Cargo Road Wichita KS 67209

          Airport Operations