Airshow agreement and fees question

Mr Stein:

LIH has had two air shows in the last 10 years, both very successful in showing
off the airport to the community.  However, as you express how do you protect
the airport against those who, for whatever reason, will never appreciate what
we do, those slips, trips, and falls that are bound to occur at any gathering
of the public at the airport.

LIH used a standard "Hold Harmless" agreement created by our legal staff to
have participants (those pilots/organizations providing static or aerial
demonstrations) to sign.  Our Insurance carrier had a one time program that
would increase any other participants.

I cannot remember the exact regulation or circular right this second, but the
FAA has an Advisory Circular detailing what they require as a minimum, a little
searching will get you to it and I found it very useful.

As a matter of fact I have begun planning one for next Memorial Day.  Hickam
AFB, where I retired as a CMsgt after 25 years in the USAF, is a stones throw
across the channel and they are equipped with the F22 and I have been in
contact with them to perform a demo flight.  The Guard/Reserve is perhaps one
of your best assets, and each unit have one pilot qualified to perform aircraft
demonstrations.  The biggest issue is to work very closely with this pilot to
determine the necessary air space restrictions that must be cleared through the
FAA and local community.

That's about all I can offer from my experience at this time.  I will dig up as
much as I can from the files available and forward to you.  I would also
request sharing anything you receive that may be helpful for our planning as
well.

Warmest Mahalo
Timothy A. Skinner, A.A.E, PhD, MBA, MS
Assistant Airport Manager - Lihue Airport