Airport Emergency Plan question

Mary and Richard:

Our airport just finished having a consultant to rewrite our AEP.  It is a complete nightmare and impossible to use effectively during a disaster or emergency.

The primary cause is on the part of the consultant does not actually understand what is required to be accomplished during an emergency.  Therefore, they have included every aspect of the Incident Command system as offered by the NFPA (not the FAA A/C) as if it is gospel.

I remind them that when examining the IC regulations it does not require/mandate inclusion of all the actions they are demanding.  It is like management, having  hired a consultant they relieve themselves of any liability they think, and the Consultant getting paid by the word walks away a whole lot richer.

The basics behind IC is to insure you have sufficient dollars or assists/resources available to respond to an accident/incident, and the only way to recover funds/resources expended (rivet for rivet) via full documentation of such items/actions.  Also, I wrote the document in such a manner that the QRC (Quick Reaction Checklists) are used by the first responders, while the team in the ECC are documenting/tracking the resources expended as well as highlighting these expenditures or request for replacement of these resources from other airports (to be replenished when Fed assistance or insurance funds are received.

Therefore, composing your AEP in the format detailed in the  A/C is what the FAA will approve, anything above that only causes questions and potential findings during your annual 139 inspection.  Remember the NFPA is trying to get airport firefighters to comply with their rules because they are telling the FAA and aircraft is a structure requiring a completely different approach to fighting the fire.(2 in 2 out for every floor/square foot of the structure, and all equipment to support this policy).  The NFPA refuse to acknowledge that the basic ARFF rule is to knock down a clear path that survivors of the impact can use to escape to safety.  It is not often you will have an ARFF going into the fuselage to rescue anyone and if they do the “Snozzle” penetrates the fuselage to knock down the fire do those possibly trapped have a survivable environment that the ARFF can come in and get you out.

Feel free to contact me at 808 274 38009 (after the 17th) or on my cell 808 651-0410.

Mahalo

Timothy A. Skinner, A.A.E., PhD, MBA, MS

Assistant Airport Manager, Lihue Airport