CAA: Mutual Help List "Ethics & The Administration of Public-Use Airports"

Steve and All:

I think we all have either seen and/or experienced situations where the best solution and/or business approach wasn't accepted or enacted due to political pressure (whether it was applied by outside or inside politics).

Given that our industry and our world community (in transportation, economic markets, and other business sectors) are undergoing a true transformation now -- precipitated by multiple effects/events -- we have an opportunity to change our way of doing business and "perhaps more importantly" our thinking. When we change our thinking the effect ripples down into what we actually do - fund, build and operate, sell -etc.

I suggest we start (if you already haven't adopted the view) looking at our transportation market place from the perspective of how to best service our customers and keep them coming back.  It is my opinion that for us to succeed in changing the industry's thinking and ultimately its practices to focus on "repeat customers" we must use positive reinforcement because it is the quickest and the most enduring way to effect change -- otherwise the status quo remains in place and in play. Negative reinforcement -- e.g. fear and shame usually go hand in hand with stopping action, growth and change.

We have via the internet a wonderful resource to communicate with each other such "changes in thinking and practice" - e.g. Steve's contributions, and others.

I encourage us to look at the problems from the point of view of how we can enlist and support those in our transportation community who are focused (with money, expertise, power, large volumes of customers, multiple locations across the network of transportation, and other resources) to join together to discuss and implement practices that positively reinforce needed changes (including contract awards and funding). This rethinking is not impossible -- it only takes one thought and then another to change attitudes, offer alternatives, reinforce with rewards (tangible and intangible) practices that benefit the industry as a whole, to create more opportunity and unleash vast resources to put into practice what does work.

If you have not read the book "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson -- and also the book "Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale & Improve Results" by Stephen C. Lundin Ph.D. -- please take an opportunity to do so if only to show yourself (and perhaps others) changing perspective WORKS!  I am not normally interested in this line of reading -- but these books hit my buttons.

You may also find the book "Funky Business" by Jonas Ridderstale and Kjell Nordstrom interesting reading.

Warm regards to all of you!

Kathleen
Airport Consulting, Inc.
Kathleen Boyd