"Airport workers worried Trump’s no-fly zone will hurt business"

Monday, May 8, 2017

Airport workers worried Trump’s no-fly zone will hurt business
By Joe Marino and Bruce Golding
The New York (NY) Post

Expectations that President Trump will use his favorite New Jersey golf club as
the “Summer White House” have nearby aviation workers worried that federal
security measures will destroy their businesses.

The “temporary flight restrictions” around the president forced two local
airports to completely close down between Thursday and Sunday — and are likely
to be repeated regularly until the reopening of Trump’s “Winter White House” in
Florida, one owner fumed.

“It places a black cloud over the airports,” said Suzanne Solberg Nagle,
co-owner of Solberg Airport in Readington, NJ. “The long-term economic result
is frightening.”

Solberg Airport is within the 10-nautical mile, no-fly “inner ring” that the
Federal Aviation Administration imposed around Trump National Golf Club in
Bedminister.

Nagle said her three-runway airport does about 60 percent of its yearly
business during the summer — mostly on weekends — and called the FAA’s
restrictions an “inverse condemnation” of her property.

“This is a taking without compensation,” she said.

A local flight instructor fretted that he’ll have to cancel one-quarter of his
classes if Trump stays in Bedminster — as he did this past weekend — as
frequently as at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Fla.

Mar-a-Lago, which Trump visited seven times during the first 12 weeks of his
presidency, closes for the summer next weekend.

The veteran flyboy also predicted dire consequences for airplane mechanics and
fuel sellers.

The co-owner of Somerset Airport in Bedminster, the township’s Republican
mayor, Steven Parker, declined to discuss Trump’s potential impact on his
business.

But last week, Somerset Airport posted a message regarding “presidential TFRs,”
short for temporary flight restrictions.

“For flight school customers, we are looking at options to fly dual training at
other local airports,” it said.

“For our based customers, this means you may have to relocate your aircraft in
order to have access during presidential visits. We regret the great
inconvenience that will cause.”

The co-owner of Alexandria Airport in Pittstown, which was shut down Sunday for
the departure of Air Force One from Morristown Airport, said he was facing
hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses from canceled skydiving and
instructional flights.

“It hurts down the line,” Bill Fritsche said. “It puts us out of business.”

Nagle said the Secret Service had “made arrangements” to allow the QuickChek
New Jersey Festival of Ballooning — billed as “the largest summertime hot-air
balloon and music festival in North America” — to be held July 28 through 30 at
Solberg Airport, even if Trump is staying in Bedminster.