"Opinion: New Hampshire airport is lifeline to attracting business"

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Opinion
The airport is our lifeline to attracting business
By John McGauley
The Keene (NH) Sentinel

Seems a city council member now thinks our airport is unnecessary, a burden to
residents near it and a general nuisance.

So, so wrong. We should be clutching on to our airport like grim death; it's
one of the only things we have that could save our sad little economy that will
soon suffer a near-death experience when one of our big legacy companies brings
in the moving trucks overnight and vanishes, leaving behind only a news release
and the toll-free number to an outplacement firm.

It's not Keene's airport, it's a regional airport - the only one. Regional, as
in a 60-mile radius.

Residents of the Edgewood neighborhood are upset that trees had to be cut down
next to their neighborhood so pilots would have an easier time taking off and
landing. But the airfield was there before the neighborhood, so for the past 50
to 60 years, developers, real estate agents and prospective buyers obviously
knew it was there. It's hard to hide.

Without an airport of that size and sophistication there would be few, if any,
companies even looking at us. Come on, we're a small burb two hours from Boston
and far off on our own, Dillant Hopkins Airport our only corridor to the
outside world. We have no highways, the railroads left so long ago that the
only people who remember them live in Langdon Place, and we have no coordinated
and aggressive regional economic development campaign. None.

Again, it's not Keene's airport, but the region's only big airport: for
Brattleboro, Bellows Falls, Putney and Springfield, Vt.; for Peterborough,
Hillsborough and Keene in New Hampshire; even for some Massachusetts locales.
When will we marshal all those cities into a drive to chip in money to an
aggressive campaign to develop that airport?

It's not about using the airport to entice commercial airlines to fly here.
They're not going to do that, we don't have the million people they need to
make it worth their time. And it's not about the owners of small prop planes
that use the airport.

It's all about two things: corporate aviation and warehouse operations.
Corporate. Companies do not locate in places where there is no convenient and
fully equipped airport with hangars for corporate jets and warehouses adjacent
to airports. Period. We already have two strikes against us - no rail and no
highways - so why cut our own throat (mixed metaphor alert) and not play the
only face card we have in our hand?

The region's airport a nuisance? Hardly.

Some readers have griped about this column, one of them from Winchester saying
we dissed them unfairly (we did), and another asking why we live here if we
dislike it so.

We live here because we ended up here 29 years ago, drunk and shanghaied from a
tavern in Pensacola, Fla., waking up in the back of a pickup truck at the old
Valley Green Motel in Keene. That's not true, of course; we took a job here.
Life is random; it could have been Cedar Rapids, Iowa, or Starkville, Miss. We
stayed because we made good and accumulated a bunch of fine friends who have
never once asked us to lend them money.

Dislike Keene and the region? Not at all; we enjoy it, and the column has often
mentioned the vicissitudes of the area, such as the Keene Family YMCA; the
Monadnock Food Co-op; the fact that most of the region's roads are paved; and
three out of every four can read, some pretty well.

So, to satisfy those readers who think we're too negative, here are some very
positive things about the area.

Just kidding. If you want that, go to the chamber of commerce, they'll hand you
a brochure. This is a newspaper column, and nobody will read it if it's a puff
piece. It's designed to ruffle some feathers, poke a little fun, get people
talking and, sometimes, make a point. We strive to be the equivalent of the guy
in the back of the class who slouches in the desk, never has a pen and makes
snarky and funny comments to the other slackers - the guy whose parents are
always told that he doesn't perform up to his potential. He's neither a team
player nor a Boy Scout, and contributes the minimum to get by. You know, like
many of the people you know. Or you.

The world is divided into those who make a beeline to the back of the class and
those who primly take their place up front. We're in back. Meet us after school
and we'll copy homework from one of the kids in front.