"RI airport official discusses selling state's airports"

Friday, April 26, 2013

RI airport official discusses selling state's airports
By Bill Rappleye
WJAR-TV Ch 10 (NBC), Providence (RI)

CRANSTON, R.I. - The president and CEO of the Rhode Island Airport Corp.
said he's considering selling some of the state's smaller airports.

Kelly Fredericks told NBC 10 on Friday during a taping of "10 News
Conference" that Rhode Island owns six airports and three of them are losing
money.

He said he'd gladly sell the airports in Westerly and Block Island to the
local municipalities for $1 just to get them off the books.

The other airports besides the state's major airport at T.F. Green are North
Central in Smithfield, Newport in Middletown and Quonset in North Kingstown.

Most of them are operated by a private management firm and Fredericks said
that a private company can sometimes turn a profit when a government agency
can't.

"Historically, we've seen where some private outside entities have come in
to oversee these types of facilities. In many cases there's been a history
of being able to turn them around," Fredericks said.

He said Rhode Island has some private airports already.

In Massachusetts, there are 41 airports but only three are owned by the
state.

Related Video:

http://www.turnto10.com/story/22089751/ri-airport-head-says-hes-considering-
selling-smaller-airports?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8816164