"Florida airport director's contract won't be renewed"

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Airport director's contract won't be renewed; plan to pay back loan rejected
By KATHERINE ALBERS
The Naples (FL) Daily News

It was a bad day for Airport Authority Executive Director Chris Curry.

Commissioners voted 3-2 Tuesday to give him 180 days' notice that his
contract would not be renewed when it expires in September.

Curry did not speak, but others did, questioning the commissioners' motives
for the dismissal. They asked if it had something to do with the fact that
Curry is black or because he was critical of Hiller and Nance after airport
employees tried to flag down a vehicle they were riding in inside a secure
area of the Immokalee Airport.

Nance said the decision was not personal.

"This is a decision made on business and business only," he said. "Mr. Curry
is not taking the airports where they need to go. This has been a
decades-long failure that has been repeated over and over. And we will
continue to operate at a loss with the business model we have now."

That vote came after commissioners refused to accept Curry's plan to reduce
or eliminate the county's annual fund transfer to the airports, which funds
the airports' budgets, and to pay back the county loan.

The Airport Authority owes the county $21 million, according to their
figures.

Instead, they directed County Manager Leo Ochs to direct staff to work with
Curry and Collier County Clerk Dwight Brock's Office to reconcile Curry's
numbers with figures commissioners had seen from Brock.

Brock said the issue was that there was a timing difference in the number he
gave commissioners and the numbers Curry was using and there was a
difference in the way the overhead was allocated in both sets of figures.

Curry told commissioners he thought the county could be out of debt in eight
years. Nance disagreed, saying the numbers did not show that.

On the web:

http://www.colliergov.net/index.aspx?page=20