"Thousands of Dollars Missing from Tennessee Airport Records"

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Thousands of Dollars Missing from Airport Records
WTVF-TV Ch 5 (ABC) Nashville (TN)

WARREN COUNTY, Tenn. - An investigation reveals that thousands of dollars
are missing from the Warren County Memorial Airport's records.

A TBI audit shows that since 2007, nearly $20,000 has simply disappeared
from the records. They say in some cases, money from the sale of aircraft
fuel and hanger rentals were never deposited to the Trustee's Office. And
some invoices were deleted from the accounting system without proper
documentation.

The investigation was conducted in coordination with the Tennessee Bureau of
Investigation and covered the time period from July 1, 2007 through
September 30, 2011.

Investigators found that at least 29 receipts issued during that time frame
were never deposited with the Warren County Trustee's Office. The receipts
were issued for the sale of aircraft fuel, hangar rentals and rental of
houses on airport-owned property.

Also, investigators discovered 40 invoices in the airport's accounting
software system had been voided without supporting documentation.

A former employee had not paid a portion of rent owed on a hangar he used or
reimbursed the airport for aircraft fuel and other personal expenses that
were charged to the airport.

In all, at least $20,791.68 was missing from the airport's records, the
investigation showed.

Investigators noted that the airport commission lacked adequate safeguards
to monitor the operations of the airport.

"It is important for all local governments and government agencies,
including airport authorities, to maintain adequate oversight over public
funds," Comptroller Justin P. Wilson said. "It is important for those
agencies to develop good accounting and bookkeeping practices, which include
what auditors refer to as internal controls. Those controls were not
sufficient in this case. I commend our investigators and those from the
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for bringing these issues to light."

On the web:

http://www.warrencountymemorialairport.com/default.htm