"Former NC airport employees guilty of embezzlement"

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Former NC airport employees guilty of embezzlement
The Associate Press

MORGANTON, N.C. (AP) - Two former managers at a regional airport near
Morganton face decades in prison after pleading guilty to siphoning off
money.

Federal prosecutors say Foothills Regional Airport administrator Alex Nelson
of Lenoir and operations manager Bradley Adkins of Hickory pleaded guilty to
public corruption conspiracy and embezzlement. Nelson faces up to 35 years
in prison; Adkins up to 15 years.

Federal investigators say Nelson took more than $130,000 in airport money to
buy a Key West vacation timeshare, a pontoon boat, cars, and to build a
swimming pool. Nelson also took about 1,000 gallons of airport fuel to heat
a martial arts studio he owned.

Prosecutors say the two men also defrauded the airport by awarding no-work
contracts.

The airport straddles the Burke-Caldwell county line about 70 miles
northwest of Charlotte.

On the web:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMRN