"Pennsylvania airport authority nixes proposed airfield sale"

Friday, July 27, 2012

Pa. airport authority nixes proposed airfield sale
The Associated Press

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Officials at an eastern Pennsylvania airport panel have
decided against selling an airfield in light of federal restrictions on the
proceeds and now plan to further develop the property.

The Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority board voted Tuesday to reject any
offers for the 210-acre Queen City Airport in south Allentown.

The decision came after the Federal Aviation Administration said any
proceeds would have to be used to build a new airport, not to pay off
authority debt.

Officials say they now plan to try to create room for as many as 60 more
small planes, given high demand in the area.

The authority is trying to sell assets to raise money to pay the remaining
$16 million from a $26 million court judgment over land taken from
developers in the early 1990s.

On the web:

http://www.lvasfbo.org/Queen/index.html