"Small plane crashes in Calif. neighborhood"

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Small plane crashes in Calif. Neighborhood
CBS News

GLENDALE, Calif. - A single-engine plane has gone down in a Southern
California neighborhood, slicing through power lines but apparently not
hitting any homes.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor says the pilot of the
Cessna 210 reported a rough-running engine near El Monte Airport Monday
night. Gregor says the pilot, the only person on board, told air traffic
controllers he would try to make it to Van Nuys Airport.

Gregor says controllers lost radar and radio contact with the plane about 3
miles southeast of Van Nuys Airport around 8 p.m.

Video footage on KCAL-TV shows the Cessna on the ground on Glenwood Road in
Glendale. The station reports the pilot is in stable condition.

Power is out in the area.