"Council Hears Public's Opinions on Montana Airport"

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kalispell Council Hears Public’s Opinions on Airport

By Scott Zoltan

KECI-TV Ch 13 (NBC), Kalispell (MT)

KALISPELL, Mont. -- On Monday night an overflowing crowd of Kalispell residents filed into the city council chambers to let the council know what they think about the city airport’s possible expansion. Folks rotated in and out of the room, talking to council members about how they should vote.

Some opponents of the expansion say upgrading it with some federal funding would mean the city would lose control of the facility. Some supporters say meeting FAA standards would create a safer airport. NBC Montana talked to people on both sides of the issue.

“I think it’s a useless expenditure of money, because it definitely will impact the quality of life here in the city central, the expansion,” said Kalispell resident Lex Blood. “I think that we have lived with the airport as it is now.”

One pilot had a differing opinion.

“This airport has been in place for about 80 years,” said Kalispell resident Tom Bass. “Everybody that owns a house there has bought that house after the airport was built and now what we have to do is decide if we want to make that airport safer.”

The council is set to vote on the airport’s fate on May 21.

On the Web:

http://kalispell.com/airport/

JPEG image