"Van Nuys Airport Achieves 'Zero Noise Impact Area'"

Friday, April 6, 2012

Van Nuys Airport Achieves "Zero Noise Impact Area"
Airport Becomes First in Los Angeles World Airports System to Reach
Milestone
[The information below comes from a press release provided by Van Nuys
Airport]

Van Nuys (VNY) Airport recently reached a milestone by declaring a "zero
noise impact area." Within the current airport noise impact boundary, there
are no "incompatible land uses" (single and multi-family homes) that remain
unaddressed by the airport's sound insulation program.

With its designation as a zero noise impact area, the airport no longer
falls under the definition of a "Noise Problem Airport" by the Los Angeles
County Board of Supervisors as part of the California Airport Noise
Standards (California Code of Regulations, Title 21). It becomes the first
of Los Angeles World Airports' three airports to accomplish this.

The airport achieved compliance with the Airport Noise Standards through a
reduction in both the noise impact area and the noise impact boundary. The
noise impact area is defined as the area within the noise impact boundary
that is composed of incompatible land uses. The VNY noise impact boundary is
defined as 65 decibels Community Noise Equivalent Level (CNEL) annual
average noise contour, with the CNEL being a measurement of the average
sound levels over a 24-hour period (with different weighing factors applied
to the evening and nighttime).

 "At VNY, our noise management program demonstrates our community response
efforts, as well as our continued diligence toward achieving effective noise
reduction at the source," said VNY Airport Manager Jess Romo. "We're very
pleased to achieve a zero noise impact area, but remain committed to moving
forward with our efforts to serve as responsible stewards to our Valley
neighbors on this important issue."

The VNY Soundproofing Program, implemented in 1999, served as the key method
to convert residential dwellings from incompatible to compatible land uses,
thereby reducing the noise impact area.

To reduce the noise impact boundary, VNY established multiple noise
abatement policies and procedures.

These include restrictions on certain aircraft departing the airport between
10 p.m. and 7 a.m., prohibition of most additional older (Stage 2) aircraft
from being based at VNY, voluntary procedures for quiet jet departure, a
program to detect and notify pilots who turn too early after departure and
thus fly over adjacent residential areas, and more.

In addition, at the start of 2012, VNY updated its Fly Friendly Program for
jet aircraft flying out of the airport. The updated program includes new
not-to-excced target noise levels for specific aircraft, based on 10 years
of aircraft data, affecting the noisiest 5% of jet departures from VNY. The
program also expands the number of aircraft included.

For more information about VNY's extensive noise management initiatives,
visit www.lawa.aero/vny and click on the Noise Management link. To submit a
noise complaint, use the online form or call             (800) 560-0010