"Regional Airports Beefing Up Security"

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Regional Airports Beefing Up Security
Authorities Warn That Small Planes Could Be Used To Spread Biological
Weapons
By Alan Gathright
KMGH-TV Ch 7 (ABC), Denver (CO)

DENVER -- Nearing the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, security
officials are growing concerned about small airplanes and lone wolf
terrorists.

Homeland Security officials issued a nationwide bulletin Friday, warning
authorities may try using small planes to spread biological weapons. It also
said Al Qaeda is looking to recruit Americans and Europeans for such
missions.

At Centennial Airport, pilots and officials are on guard.

"They maintain a real tight lock on things here," said pilot John Manutes.

Centennial is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the country.
Officials at the airport said after 9/11 they increased security greatly,
including monitoring behavior of individuals at the airport.

"We know 99 percent of our clients and the 1 percent we don't know we vet a
little harder," said Robert Olislagers, Executive Director of the airport.

Olislagers said the airport takes the Homeland Security warnings seriously
and that it will continue to operate under heightened security.