"Al-Qaida threat to small planes"

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Al-Qaida threat to small planes
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The FBI and Homeland Security issued a nationwide warning about
al-Qaida threats to small airplanes, just days before the anniversary of the
2001 terrorist attacks.

Authorities said there was no specific or credible terrorist threat for the
10-year anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
But they have stepped up security nationwide as a precaution.

According to a law enforcement bulletin issued Friday, as recently as early
this year, al-Qaida was considering ways to attack airplanes.

The alert, issued ahead of the summer's last busy travel weekend, said
terrorists have considered renting private planes and loading them with
explosives.

"Al-Qaida and its affiliates have maintained an interest in obtaining
aviation training, particularly on small aircraft, and in recruiting Western
individuals for training in Europe or the United States, although we do not
have current, credible information or intelligence of an imminent attack
being planned," according to the bulletin obtained by the AP.