"Merced airport to get new pilot training center"

Friday, May 9, 2008

Merced airport to get new pilot training center
The Associated Press

MERCED, Calif.-A subsidiary of aerospace giant Boeing Co. plans to open a
pilot training center on a decommissioned Air Force base in Merced.
Merced County officials say Alteon Training will launch the $25 million
program at a business center next to Castle International Airport in
February.

The county has spent more than $17 million since 2003 refurbishing the base
property to make the airport financially viable.

The program will be jointly run by Alteon and the Sierra Academy of
Aeronautics and will train about 200 pilots a year to fly Boeing 737
passenger airliners.

The center is expected to bring in $8 million a year in revenue.