"Night operations at Oceanside airport suspended"

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Night operations at Oceanside airport suspended
The San Diego (CA) Union Tribune

OCEANSIDE - Nighttime operations have been suspended indefinitely at
Oceanside Municipal Airport.

Public Works Director Peter Weiss announced at last night's City Council
meeting that the state Division of Aeronautics has ordered the shutdown due
to physical encroachments into a required safety zone.

Weiss identified the encroachments as several trees, a retaining wall and
flood berm for the adjacent Deutsch property and a driveway to the Deutsch
manufacturing plant.

The safety discrepancies are correctable, Weiss said, and are part of
planned improvements to the airport, but there has been no funding for them
and he does not know when they can be completed.

About 60 airport supporters attended the meeting to ask the council to build
more hangars at the airport.

The council voted 3-2 to delay a decision on the hangars until a land-use
study is completed.