"Florida airports battle over using the name 'Orlando'"

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Florida airports battle over using the name 'Orlando'
USA Today

There's a battle brewing among three Florida airports about who can use the
word "Orlando" in their names.

Officials from the board which runs Orlando International Airport in Orlando
are objecting to the use of the name "Orlando" by the Orlando Melbourne
International Airport on the Atlantic Coasts and by the Orlando Sanford
International Airport that's on the periphery of the greater Orlando area near
a town called Sanford.

The Melbourne airport is about 70 miles from downtown Orlando while the Sanford
airport is about 25 miles away. Orlando International, the region's main
airport, is about 10 miles from central Orlando.

Officials with the Orlando airport and Melbourne airport met Wednesday in an
effort to seek common ground, but no agreement was reached.
Local media reports the parties agreed to meet in the future.

Officials with the primary Orlando airport say the use of the name "Orlando" by
other airports confuses travelers who think they flying to Orlando but instead
end up dozens of miles away.

"We want to make sure that when people come to Central Florida, they're not
dismayed when they arrive at the Melbourne International Airport and discover
that they are perhaps an hour - maybe more than an hour's drive - away from
Orlando and they thought they were actually flying into the Orlando airport,"
Stephen Luther, a patent attorney representing the authority that operates
Orlando International, is quoted as saying by FLORIDA TODAY.

Leslie Lott, an intellectual-property lawyer representing Melbourne's airport,
labeled the squabble "a fight looking for a problem to justify itself" while
speaking at the same Wednesday meeting as Luther. She noted that tourist
attractions are spread across the sprawling area around the city itself.

"How far away the Orlando-Melbourne airport is depends on whether you're going
to Legoland, or Disney cruises, or what they call the Port of Orlando - which
is Port Canaveral - or whether you're going to Lake Buena Vista and Disney,"
Lott said to an audience that included boards of the authorities of both the
Orlando and Melbourne airports.

Additionally, the Melbourne airport on the Atlantic coast says using "Orlando"
has helped increase clicks on the Internet.