"San Jose airport ‘security incident’ leads to long lines, 2-hour delays"

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Bag screening failure at San Jose airport causing major flight delays

By Kimberly Veklerov

The San Francisco (CA) Chronicle

A plane taxis after landing at Mineta San Jose International Airport, Monday, April 21, 2014, in San Jose, Calif. An unspecified “security incident” at Terminal A on Saturday afternoon was causing flight delays.

A luggage screening failure Saturday at the San Jose International Airport caused delays of up to two hours for arriving and departing flights as travelers were asked to evacuate a terminal so that security officials could re-examine them and their carry-on items.

Shortly after 3 p.m., Transportation Security Administration employees notified airport officials that “luggage may have been improperly screened and prohibited items may have been introduced into our sterile area,” said airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes.

The incident was contained to Terminal A, and a gate connecting it to Terminal B was immediately closed, Barnes said. It wasn’t immediately clear to airport officials how the security snafu happened or what luggage was affected.

TSA agents were conducting sweeps through Terminal A to check for prohibited items, Barnes said. About 200 travelers waiting at boarding gates were told to leave the terminal for re-screening.

The airport encouraged travelers to check with their airline for flight status.

Airlines that operate flights in the terminal and may be affected include Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, ANA, some Alaska flights, American, ANA, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, United and Volaris.

image002.jpg

JPEG image