"Federal agent accidentally shoots self at Orlando airport, policesay"

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Federal agent accidentally shoots self at Orlando airport, police say

Gun fell out of agent's holster

By Adrienne Cutway

WKMG TV Ch 6 (CBS), Orlando (FL)

ORLANDO, Fla. - A federal agent accidentally shot himself in the foot at Orlando International Airport Tuesday morning as he was heading to the security checkpoint, Orlando police and a spokesperson with the airport confirmed to News 6.

Orlando police said that the gun fell out of the agent's holster as he was adjusting a bag, and went off when he went to grab it.

The bullet hit the agent in the foot and was later found a few feet away, police said.

No one else was hurt during this incident, according to authorities.

The gun went off at Terminal A near the security checkpoint for gates 70 to 129. News 6 spoke with a woman who was waiting for her flight just a few feet away when it happened.

"I was a little taken back that nobody was moving," Jenny Fulks said.

Fulks, of Denver, said she arrived early for her flight when she heard the gunshot from about 20 feet away.

"I heard a loud bang and I know that noise, I've heard it before," said Fulks.

She said she was surprised nothing was announced over the overhead speakers to alert the crowd as to what had just happened.

"I did see airport officials walking towards the area and it was almost like they were cuing each other," Fulks said. "It's very odd, nothing I've ever seen before."

Orlando police said that while the federal agent was unslinging a shoulder bag, the bag caught on the agent's holstered weapon and as the agent tried to catch the firearm, he inadvertently pulled the trigger.

A spokesperson for the Orlando International Airport says this was an isolated incident and that there was no disruption to airline operations.

Fulks said she is glad to hear that this was not an intentional act.

"I'm glad he's going to be OK," Fulks said. "I'm glad no one else was injured."

image003.jpg

JPEG image