"From China to Ontario Airport: Scheduled round-trip flights coming"

Friday, July 21, 2017

From China to Ontario Airport: Scheduled round-trip flights coming

By Liset Márquez

The Inland Valley (CA) Daily Bulletin

The Ontario International Airport Authority officially welcomed charter airline Dynamic International Airways during a press conference Thursday morning at ONT.

ONTARIO - For the second time this week, Ontario International Airport Authority members gathered in Terminal 2 to announce new air service.

Charter airline Dynamic International Airways announced Thursday morning it is launching scheduled service out of Ontario International Airport to China in 2018. Officials also announced its intention to develop domestic service from Ontario to major U.S. cities such as New York, Washington, D.C., said Alicia Goa, spokeswoman with Dynamic International Airways.

“This is our first service from China to Ontario but this is just the beginning,” she said. “Ontario will be our gateway and operation hub in mainland U.S., from China to mainland U.S.”

For now, Dynamic International Airways, based out of North Carolina, is operating round-trip flights from Nanchang, China, to Ontario. The inaugural service arrived Wednesday night and will run through Aug. 30. That service is targeted toward Chinese tour operators packaging group tours for Chinese customers only.

The twice-weekly round-trips depart from Nanchang Changbei International Airport Saturday and Tuesday with a stopover in Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, in Anchorage, Alaska, for refueling and U.S. Customs and Border Protection processing. Dynamic is utilizing Boeing 767-300ER aircraft configured to accommodate 235 passengers.

Ken Woolley, chairman of the board of directors for Dynamic, said Thursday the first flight into the Ontario airport landed on time, at 9:05 p.m. Wednesday.

Although the company only has six airplanes in its fleet, Woolley said, Dynamic hopes to add aircraft, which will give the ability to offer nonstop flights from Ontario to Chinese cities.

“We want to thank the airport for helping us get this all started. Ontario is going to be a great hub for us,” he said. “We’re looking forward to working together with the county commissioners and various local officials, and with the airport authority and hope we can do our part to bring more economic growth here to this part of the world.”

After the seven-week summer run, regularly scheduled service is expected to begin in 2018. Woolley said he expects the demand out of Ontario airport would be to major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

“(China) is one of the big growth opportunities for airlines in the United States,” he said.

As a charter, Dynamic can only do the current service for three months, which is why the airline applied to become a flag carrier with the Department of Transportation, Wolley said. Once the airline gets approval from the government, the current seasonal service would become a scheduled flight.

Woolley noted that another U.S. carrier, Allegiant Air, also operated as a charter for many years before offering commercial service, he said.

Since taking over control of the airport Nov. 1, the Ontario International Airport Authority has been looking to expand international flights between the inland region and Asia, said Alan Wapner, president of the authority.

“This is a big step for us,” he said. “We’re trying to build relationships and international flights in Asia and specifically in China.”

image001.png

PNG image