"United accidentally gave a toddler’s seat away — and made his mom hold him for a 3-hour flight"

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

United accidentally gave a toddler’s seat away — and made his mom hold him for
a 3-hour flight
By Avi Selk
The Washington (DC) Post

United Airlines has apologized to a passenger who was forced to give up her
2-year-old son’s seat and hold the child on a flight — until her leg and arm
went numb.

Shirley Yamauchi, a middle school teacher from Hawaii, was bound for a
teacher’s conference in Boston last week, she told Hawaii News Now. Her
traveling companion was 27-month-old Taizo, whose ticket she said cost as much
as hers — nearly $1,000.

The first leg of Thursday’s trip — Hawaii to Houston — went fine.

So did the layover.

But as Yamauchi and her son sat waiting for takeoff to Boston, a man walked up
with the same seat number as Taizo, the mother told ABC affiliate KITV.

“I told him, I bought both of these seats,” she told the station. “The flight
attendant came by, shrugs and says, ‘flight’s full.’”

A United spokesman told The Washington Post that Taizo’s boarding pass had been
improperly scanned and that because the toddler wasn’t logged in to the system,
his seat was released to a standby passenger.

The airline said it is trying to compensate the family for its mistake.

But at the time, Yamauchi said, she had only bad options.

“I was told if we refund you anything right now, we’re going to have to cancel
the rest of your flight arrangements to Hawaii,” she told KITV.

She told Hawaii News Now that she considered protesting, but was scared to make
a scene. “I started remembering all those incidents with United on the news.
The violence. Teeth being knocked out,” she said.

 [A man wouldn’t leave an overbooked United flight. So he was dragged off,
battered and limp.]

In April, a passenger named David Dao refused to give up his seat on a United
flight. He was dragged, battered and bloody, down the plane aisle by police —
an incident that scandalized the airline for weeks, until it settled the
passenger’s lawsuit.

Dao’s experience was among the worst in a long string of passenger horror
stories on multiple airlines.

In the last few months alone, a pilot’s rant before takeoff caused her
passengers to flee the plane; a man in a wheelchair was forced to crawl up a
staircase using his hands; and a beloved giant rabbit apparently died in midair.

“I didn’t want those things to happen to me,” Yamauchi told Hawaii News Now,
referring to Dao’s dragging.

So the man with a standby ticket sat down in Taizo’s seat, and the child
crammed in with his mom.

That was against the safety advice of the Federal Aviation Administration,
which strongly urges a separate seat for children; but Yamauchi said she had no
better options.

“He’s 25 pounds; he’s half my height,” she told Hawaii News Now. She sent the
station pictures of her son wedged in various positions on her lap, a container
of milk balanced on the arm rest above him, somehow managing to sleep.

Meanwhile, Yamauchi said, her arm was smashed between the plane wall and her
son for most of the three-and-a-half hour flight to Boston.

“At the very end, he was standing up between my knees,” she told KITV.

A United spokesman told The Post that the airline would compensate Yamauchi “as
a goodwill gesture” and will work with employees to avoid a repeat of the
mistake.

“We deeply apologize to Ms. Yamauchi and her son for this experience,” the
spokesman wrote in a statement, although he did not answer questions about why
the child was allowed to fly without a seat, and whether it was safe.