"Virginia State Police Investigate Newport News Airport After Audit"

Friday, June 23, 2017

Virginia State Police Investigate Airport After Audit
Virginia State Police have launched an investigation into past business
practices at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport, after a state
audit found widespread issues with airport spending.
The Associated Press

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - Virginia State Police have launched an investigation
into past business practices at the Newport News/Williamsburg International
Airport, after a state audit found widespread issues with airport spending.

The Daily Press reports agency spokeswoman Corinne N. Geller says Virginia
State Police are looking for evidence of a violation of state law. Agents with
the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, the IRS's criminal
investigation division and the U.S. Department of Transportation's Office of
Inspector General interviewed a series of employees Tuesday.

Airport Acting Executive Director Sandy Wanner says he set up the interviews
for the agents but was not told what they concerned.

A Virginia Department of Transportation audit said the airport's spending
issues included an improper loan guarantee to a startup airline that cost $4.5
million in taxpayer money.