"Phoenix council approves airport fees, parking lease"

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Phoenix council approves airport fees, parking lease

By Melissa Blasius

KNXV TV Ch 15 (ABC), Phoenix (AZ)

PHOENIX - Fees will be going up at Sky Harbor after Phoenix City Council voted 7-2 to increase what the airport charges airlines that land there.

The money is to be used for improvement projects. Opponents say the costs will eventually be passed along to the consumer.

The council also approved a plan to help Quicken Loans relocate from north Scottsdale to downtown Phoenix. The business couldn't find enough parking at first, but now they'll lease spaces in a city-owned garage.

City officials would not name the building where Quicken plans to lease office space, but they did say they've helped other companies locate employee parking options.

"Typically what a company needs is an extra 20 spaces, an extra 40 spaces, as many as 200, but 1,100, I think, really shows that about the vibrancy of downtown," Phoenix Community and Economic Development Director Christine Mackay said.

City leaders say they are working with several other major employers interested in setting up shop downtown.