"United Flew a Plane That Wasn't Airworthy 23 Times, FAA Says"

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

United Flew a Plane That Wasn't Airworthy 23 Times, FAA Says
By Lucinda Shen
Fortune

United Airlines operated a plane that was "not in airworthy condition" during
23 domestic and international flights, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

On Tuesday, the FAA alleged that United flew the unsafe aircraft for a few
weeks in June 2014 and is seeking a $435,000 civil penalty against the airline.

According to the FAA, United replaced a faulty fuel pump switch on a Boeing
787, but did not inspect the aircraft properly after that.

"Maintaining the highest levels of safety depends on operators closely
following all applicable rules and regulations," FAA Administrator Michael
Huerta said in a statement. "Failing to do so can create unsafe conditions."

United is seeking a meeting with the FAA to discuss the allegations, the agency
said.

"At United, the safety of our customers and employees is our top priority," a
United spokesperson said in an emailed statement. "We immediately took action
after identifying the issue and are working closely with the FAA in their
review."