"A Wider Laptop Ban And Heightened Airport Security Are On The Way"

Monday, May 29, 2017

Breaking News: A Wider Laptop Ban And Heightened Airport Security Are On The Way
By Doug Gollan
Forbes

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly told Fox News Sunday, "I might" when
asked about extending the ban barring certain electronics from the cabin to all
flights into and out of the United States following it up with strong comments.
"It's the thing the terrorists are obsessed with, particularly if it's a U.S.
carrier...(The threat is) real," Kelly told host Chris Wallace.

He said, "We're still following the intelligence," adding, "We're going to
raise the bar for aviation security much higher than it is now. It's a real
sophisticated threat." The remarks by Kelly represented a reversal from last
Wednesday when it appeared the in-cabin ban for larger electronic devices
currently in place from select Middle East countries would not be expanded.

Kelly also said travelers overstuffing hand luggage to avoid airline fees for
checking baggage is hampering the TSA's ability to see what is in the bags. He
said TSA is currently testing new "tactics and procedures to work it out with
the least inconvenience to the traveler." Last week the TSA started testing new
procedures at 10 airports with travelers having to unpack more of their
carry-on bags into separate containers beyond laptops and liquids. According to
reports, a new requirement is that you have to remove magazines, newspapers,
books and files as well as smaller electronic devices.

Stacy Small, founder of Elite Travel International puts it this way. "I think
people are getting used to the idea of having to follow whatever rules are put
in place, like when the shoe bomber created a big scare, and it resulted in
everyone needing to remove shoes," she said.

At the same time, she acknowledged an extended laptop ban would be different.
"It's a huge inconvenience to be told you have to check your laptop, but I
don't see that it will stop people from traveling. It may result in more people
examining their private jet options," she noted. Bookings to Europe for the
summer are well ahead of last year with Americans attracted by the stronger
dollar, she said.

For the corporate sector, Small added, "It's hard to put a price on this
especially for business travelers who probably need the flight time to be
productive."

"Having TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, sitting first class and having elite status
really mean nothing anymore," says Jaclyn Sienna India, owner of Sienna
Charles, a luxury travel agency, who says many of her clients won't be impacted
as they fly by private jet. She added, "There are so many things to slow you
down and create inefficiency at the airport."

Michael Holtz, CEO of SmartFlyer said that since the ban from the Middle East
he is seeing more customers leaving their laptops at home. "You can do
everything on your smartphone now, and smartphones aren't impacted," he noted.
In terms of increased TSA security procedures, he noted it's an additional
reason to work with "a good travel agent." He said, "Everyday we deal with
travelers and get feedback on their experiences, so a good travel agent is able
to provide recommendations based on the experiences of other clients."

Anne Scully, president of McCabe World Travel said travelers can help
themselves by enrolling in Clear and not just throwing things into their
carry-on luggage. "We need to accept the challenges we now face and learn to be
more patient and sensitive to others as we take our journeys. There is an art
to smart packing and we all need to learn to be better at it," she said.