"Computers Down at Sacramento International Airport, Flights Delayed"

Thursday, May 25, 2017

'It's been chaos': Sacramento airport network outage resolved after frustrating
morning
By Bill Lindelof and Tony Bizjak
The Sacramento (CA) Bee

A widespread network outage at Sacramento International Airport delayed more
than a dozen flights Wednesday morning.

Computer problems persisted through most of the morning at Terminal A, but at
10:15 a.m. airport officials said that network issues were resolved. Still,
passengers were advised that some flights might be delayed up to 30 minutes
until early afternoon.

There were no delays at Terminal B. Airport officials advised travelers to call
their airlines to confirm departure times.

Laurie Slothower, airport spokeswoman, said the network outage was caused by a
hardware problem. The computer outage initially affected all airlines except
for Southwest. Slothower said the airport has backup systems to the network,
but an "ancillary issue" rendered the backup system ineffective.
A total of 15 flights were delayed from 15 minutes to two hours. The average
delay was 30 minutes, Slothower said.

Jason Huber from Phoenix was waiting with several hundred people in the lobby
of Terminal A at about 6:30 a.m.

"It's been chaos," he said.

He was heading home from a business trip and had a 9 a.m. flight, but he said
because the computers were down the airlines were checking in bags the
old-fashioned way.

"They are calling people's flight numbers and doing this manually," Huber said.
"It is what it is."

The airport and airlines made announcements over the public address system to
keep travelers informed. The outage occurred about 3:30 a.m. and affected all
systems at the airport, including Wi-Fi and the baggage handling system.

John Lesuer got to the airport at 5:30 a.m. for a 7 a.m. flight home to
Washington, D.C., and ran into a packed house in Terminal A.

"I've been standing in line, one of the fun things you can do at an airport,"
he said.

Lesuer, who had been on a wine-tasting vacation in Amador, Napa, and Sonoma
counties said he was not worried about his flight departing on time.

"I'm retired, I'm not in a rush," he said. "It doesn't do any good to get all
wound up."

Slothower said experts worked as fast as they could to resolve the network
issues.