"EU loosens aid rules to simplify airport, port investment"

Thursday, May 18, 2017

EU loosens aid rules to simplify airport, port investment
The Associated Press

BRUSSELS -  The European Union is loosening rules on state aid to simplify
government investments in airports and ports.

EU rules require governments to notify the bloc's executive Commission in
advance of many public investment plans, to ensure they don't distort
competition. The Commission decided on Wednesday to expand exemptions.

EU governments will now be able to make investments in existing regional
airports that handle up to 3 million passengers per year without first having
the EU check those plans. The Commission says that will cover more than 420
airports.

Member countries will be allowed to invest up to 150 million euros ($165
million) in sea ports and 50 million euros in inland ports without EU scrutiny.
The Commission is also relaxing rules on state aid for culture and sports arena
projects.