"Hartsfield security breach worse than first reported"

Friday, May 12, 2017

Breach at Atlanta's airport worse than first reported

By Morse Diggs

WAGA TV Ch 5 (Fox), Atlanta (GA)

ATLANTA - New information suggests a major security breach at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport was worse than originally reported.

Justin Carlton, who got into a secure area with a knife, was a former worker at the airport and according to a police report jumped into a truck that could have taken him out onto the airfield. The only thing stopping that man was an alarm and a very rapid response by Atlanta police officers.

Where the man was planning to go is still anyone’s guess. What is now known, thanks to records obtained by FOX 5 News, is that the original statement put out by airport executives which told of a reported fight between two workers was not what happened.

The police report states that a week ago, Carlton went through an unauthorized door, setting off the alarm, just below the atrium. Carlton, who held a sensitive job at a food company that services Delta jets, went inside the underground luggage storage area. There, he was challenged by employees because he was not wearing a badge.

That’s when police said Carlton pulled a buck knife out, showed it to the employees and became more agitated. One of those employees told police Carlton yelled at them “You want some of this?”

Officers arrived and found Carlton perched inside a Delta truck. His next step was not apparent at the time.

Atlanta Council Member Keisha Lance Bottoms during a recent meeting said she wants to ensure the airport has ample security as lawmakers look at the annual budget.

“Obviously, this is the time for us to address it. Yes, you will see a couple of things I think that are in our budget regarding security,” said Bottoms.

One other detail which came out during the City Council Meeting was that Carlton’s airport ID badge had not been deactivated according to the policy when he was no longer employed at the airport. There are still a number of questions surrounding why it was not.

image002.jpg

JPEG image