"London's Heathrow airport briefly suspends some flights due to'security issue'"

Friday, May 5, 2017

London's Heathrow airport briefly suspends some flights due to 'security issue'

Reuters

London's Heathrow airport briefly suspended departures from one of its terminals on Friday due to what police said was a report of a luggage X-ray having found a suspicious item.

An airport spokeswoman said the suspension at terminal 3 had been caused by "a security issue" but did not elaborate.

"We are working with Heathrow terminal 3 after a report of a suspicious item detected by an X-ray of luggage," London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Heathrow, which has five main terminals, is one of the world's busiest airports and terminal 3 mainly services long-haul flights, although it also offers some European destinations.

"Departures were suspended for a short time from terminal 3 due to a security issue. We are very sorry to any passengers whose journeys are affected," the airport spokeswoman said.

image001.jpg

JPEG image