"Airport authority, internet tax among bills killed by Hawaii statelawmakers before deadline"

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Airport authority, internet tax among bills killed by state lawmakers before
deadline
By Ashley Nagaoka
Hawaii News Now

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - State lawmakers had until 6 p.m. Friday to make
final deals on bills before this legislative session comes to a close. And
while there were compromises made, some major proposals were killed.

The plan to create an Airport Authority, a semi-independent agency that
would've managed Hawaii's airports and handled all major contracting decisions,
is dead.

The committee was waiting for comments from the Attorney General about the
airport authority plan, but members say they never received them, so they chose
to shelve the bill.

The Senate Transportation Chair says she's disappointed and was hoping the
committee would just push the bill through.

"You can iron it out even as it moves to the Governor. And if the bill is
totally flawed, then the Governor would veto it," said State Sen. Lorraine
Inouye.

Other measures that were killed include:
*SB704 - would have allowed internet travel companies, like Airbnb, to collect
state taxes from rental operators.
*SB221 - would have authorized the use of cameras to catch drivers who run red
lights.
*SB620 - would have required internet-based retailers to charge Hawaii
customers a use tax.
*HB4 - would have required certain employers to provide a minimum amount of
paid sick leave to employees.

Both houses will vote on all of the approved measures next week.